Worcester, Massachusetts 01609Official Website
Institute Park is a historic park that dates to the late 1800s and has long been connected to the Worcester Polytechnic Institute campus. Close to downtown, this park was originally an ordinary farm field and pasture. It was donated by the Honorable Stephen Salisbury III in 1887 as a park to supply a green space for the students and citizens of Worcester.
Institute Pond, also known as Salisbury’s Pond, is an artificial lake made by the dam on Grove Street. Originally this pond was a millpond, supplying power to the factory erected in 1834 by Stephen Salisbury II, for the growing wire business of Ichabod Washburn. For many years a handsome bridge connected the park with a small island in the pond. A replica of the Old Mill at Newport, RI, added to the attractiveness of the park.
From its beginnings as a simple pasture, it has been transformed into an ideal city park. Institute Park is one of Worcester’s most beautiful parks. It harbors many tranquil moments for those wishing to get away from everyday city life. Institute Park has a multi-purpose field, three lighted tennis courts, two monuments, a concert stage (the Levenson Concert Stage) that hosts concerts throughout the summer, and paths and trails for park-goers to enjoy.
Restrooms on site
Wheelchair accessible trail
Content from Official Website
Last updated December 13, 2023