Leicester, Vermont 05733Official Website
Fern Lake was originally known as “Little Pond” in deference to Lake Dunmore, the neighbor to the north. The name was changed to Fern Lake in 1892 when a Post Office was applied for in the area. The name is appropriate with all the natural ferns thriving on the shores around the lake. It is thought that Fern Lake was once part of Lake Dunmore but got separated by glacial movement, landslide, or other natural action through time. You can now walk over an isthmus that separates the lakes by 250 to 300 yards. The isthmus landmass rises well above the heights of both lakes, which allows the lakes to maintain their water level. Fern Lake has a depth of 55 feet in the deepest area and occupies around 68 acres of land. At the widest section, it measures 1100 feet. The island on the northern end of the lake is called “Wooly” and is privately owned. Fern Lake at one time was the main source of water for the town of Brandon. The lake remained undeveloped until the 1960s when Brandon had acquired another water source. The land was then leased and camps were built. Leicester residents and homeowners enjoy swimming, kayaking, canoeing, fishing, and boating.
Restrooms on site
Wheelchair accessible trail
Content from Official Website
Last updated October 8, 2023