Worcester, Massachusetts 01603Official Website
The area around Coes Reservoir (commonly referred to as Coes Pond) consists of 20.79 acres of green and blue space that offers four seasons of premier amenities including the region’s first state-of-the-art, universally accessible, multigenerational park and playground. There are approximately 5 miles of walking trails including the East-West Trail that link John J. Binienda Memorial Beach, Columbus Park, and the heavily used Reed Memorial Rectangular Field and playground.
The area surrounding Coes Pond possesses several significant historical attributes. The former Coes Knife property was home to mills owned and operated by Loring Coes and his brother Aury Gates Coes and built in the late 1800s. The Coes brothers invented and manufactured the world-famous monkey wrench and subsequently manufactured highly sophisticated and precisely engineered blades, knives, and cheese cutters.
Passing by Coes Pond and the former Coes Knife property along Mill Street is the Major Taylor Bike Trail. Named for Marshall Walter “Major” Taylor, an African-American with strong ties to Worcester, and winner of both the national and world bicycle spring racing championships in 1899.
Public properties around Coes Reservoir include the Coes Knife Factory Building, Coes Pond Beach, Columbus Park, and Knights of Columbus Park.
Restrooms on site
Wheelchair accessible trail
Content from Official Website
Last updated December 8, 2023