Everett Dam Conservation Lands--E. Weare Rd., Weare

Everett Dam Conservation Lands--E. Weare Rd., Weare

East Weare Road Weare, New Hampshire 03281

About this Location

The Piscataquog River, which flows 14 miles through the town of Weare was once one of the best sources of water power in the state. In the early 1900s, 22 mill sites had been located along the banks of the river in the Weare area. On September 21, 1938, following several days of heavy rain, a hurricane moving up from the West Indies passed through the center of New England. The additional heavy rains from the hurricane caused the failure of the Deering Reservoir Dam, which resulted in a wall of raging water rushing down to the Weare Reservoir Dam. Although the dam held, the rushing water broke through the land at the side of the dam, releasing millions of gallons of water into the reservoir. The raging river, completely out of control, washed away everything in its path, leaving parts of Weare devastated.

In response to the 1938 hurricane disaster and other seasonal floods, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built the 2,000-foot-long Everett Dam, as part of the Hopkinton-Everett Flood Control Project, which had been authorized by Congress to prevent a recurrence of the devastating floods. The overall project was completed in 1963 at a total cost of $21,400,000.

Content from Clough State Park website