9750 OH-185 Covington, Ohio 45318Official Website
Stillwater Prairie Reserve comprises 380 acres in northwestern Miami County in Newberry Township. The park offers two entrances. One is located 1.5 miles west of OH-48 on OH-185, and another is south of OH-185 on Rangeline Road.
Early settlers John and Elizabeth Hagan, originally from Adams County, Pennsylvania, built a sawmill in 1840 on the site using water power from the Stillwater River. In 1846, the old brick home was constructed. The old home can be seen from the trail and is now used as a maintenance area. The accompanying log barn was demolished several years ago. In 1849, Robert Aspinall, from England, purchased the property. The family continued here until 1886, making the Aspinall family the longest occupants of the site since the days of settlement.
Stillwater Prairie Trails
There are 3 miles of trails at the Stillwater Prairie Reserve.
Segments of the main trail follow the river over portions of the long-abandoned Hagan Road, built in the 1840s. Passages through fields, woodland, marshy habitats, and shrublands complete the circle. Diverse topography and vegetation offer excellent outdoor opportunities for the average hiker, birdwatcher, cross-country skier, or photographer. Wetlands have been added to the diversity of habitat at the Reserve with an overlook platform for improved viewing of the wetland species which home there or pass through during migration.
Restrooms on site
Content from Official Website